Monday, April 9, 2012

Typhoon


To the Signalman of the Watch

With my hands forcing a wind-beaten hatch
Out into a vast world of might and spray
Holding tightly to the storm lines, I latch
Rain gear lashing against my frame, I pray

Mountain of water rising and falling
Wind screaming through manmade tower of steel
Stagger dancing and towing, not walking
Saltwater flys into my eyes, I shield

Finally, the hatch lever in my grip
Squeezing into the Signal Shack, dog tight
Safe inside, warm and dry, poncho, drip, drip
Blue water and spray extinguish starlight

Night on watch, in a treacherous typhoon
The howling beast stalking my metal room






© Copyrights G. Jones 2006



Author's Comments:
This is a poem is based on my memories of duty aboard a navy destroyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment