Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cotton Stomper

Cotton Stomper
The stars sparkle through red painted aluminum mesh
The walls of my room

A soft constant rain of cotton falls upon my head
I watch the bright sky

The organic smell of the earth and the diesel fumes
Permeates the air

A cool breeze tickles the sweat beads upon my forehead
Reminds me to rise

On wobbly feet, I begin to stomp, up and down
Within the snowy chamber

As I do my work, singing, "I’m a cotton stomper,
That is what I be!”

Falling back to rest, I continue to ponder
What tomorrow brings

© Copyrights G. Jones 2008


When I was in my early teens, living with my grandfather in Alabama. On hot summer nights, with a touch of breeze, I would volunteer to ride inside the cotton picker basket and tramp down the cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment