Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Their Last Day


He was lying on his newly mowed grass
Stretched on his back, still running hose in hand
Starring at the sky, an unblinking pawn
A peaceful setting, to finally rest

The grass was soaked from the running water
So, I went to find the faucet to close
Following the hose past lush garden color
Grape vines, and stalks of multicolored rose

There, on the back patio, a table
Upon which a cocktail sat half finished
Twisting the tap, the water now secure
A movement I spy, through the window pane

Sitting in the recliner, a woman
Watching afternoon baseball with a drink
Two brown Labradors sleeping at her feet
They were unaware of their master’s fate

I return to his side and feel for pulse
Silent, still, stiff, and cold, it was too late
Stepping to the front door, I ring the bell
Amid barking dogs, she opens the screen

“Yes. Who are you?” she asked irritated
“I’m here to inform about your husband”
I replied to her, with a friendly smile
“You’re her husband?” she inquired nervously

“Yes,” I replied. “And you must be his wife”
“I have been expecting you, please come in”
“Shall I call my husband in from the yard?”
“I don’t believe that will be required now”

“Are they both gone?” she asked, pouring a drink
Taking the drink, I replied, “Their last day”

© Copyrights G. Jones 2006

Author's Note: The In the Weird Series

No comments:

Post a Comment