Thursday, July 5, 2012

Formation Steaming, Arabian Sea


Watching the leader through my destroyer’s, Big Eyes
Waiting for signal to execute and proceed
The flashing light comes. “Execute!” my talker cries
The bridge responds, shifting course and slowing speed

Twenty ships simultaneously make course east
As headings steady, I await the next command
The formation’s wakes clawing the sea like a beast
Another light, I shout the leader’s next demand

These types of close maneuverings, are tricky things
One wrong signal could result in a collision
I rub my eyes, below the engine order rings
Another signal and we dance in precision

Maintaining the columns, we plow, south, south east
All anticipating our next liberty feast

© Copyrights G. Jones 2008
 
Author's Note: Sailor's Sonnet Series

No comments:

Post a Comment