Saturday, June 16, 2012

He'll Never Forget Me

As I walk through these misty rain drenched woods
Whispers of my ancestors haunt this place

Many times, I've passed their burial grounds
Ghosts of deer, rabbit, and squirrels are here

It's their trails that guide my eternal path
Years, I've spent at the base of this old tree

Raindrops pattering the wide leaves, my tune
The flicker of winged creatures catch the eye

Near the running stream, I pretend to drink
A cougar senses my ghostly presense

Once I strolled these paths, a troubled young girl
My confusion, slowly to melt away

I shared these trails with a shy, quiet young man
Our laughs and footsteps, still echo my mind

I remember those fine walks, in my dreams
Now the smell of damp earth, insects, and quiet

I lie beneath the ground now, near our path
I remember the day, he buried me

His secret thoughts, I'd never suspected
The day he raped me, finally killing

Dragging me to my final resting place
Marking me, with a large stone from the stream

I've felt his presence nearby, many times
Paying visits, ensuring, I’m still safe

I now walk these endless paths forever
Because, I know, he'll never forget me


© Copyright G. Jones 2006

Author's Note: The In to the Weird Series

3 comments:

  1. omg this is heavy stuff unbelievable writing just so unrests a person after reading the beginning and what gave me the feeling of something quite soothing certainly changed suddenly..... you are a amazing talented writer that just oh grabs ones attention in such a small space of narrative so clever clever .. beez :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beez, it's based on an article I read years back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it has a very evocative and compelling atmosphere - feeling of place - and twisting of narative!

    ReplyDelete