Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Late Afternoon Photograph

Fading images on the distant street

Walking and gesturing conversation

In a neighborhood of quiet shadows

And a receding soft afternoon’s feel


A mother calls her children to supper

A screen door slams, a distant train whistle

A warm breeze carries the scent of mowed grass

As stray leaves dance along the narrow street


I sit quietly, watching from my steps

A worn mitt and rubber ball in my hands

Cool sweat on my face, from bouncing and grab

Transistor radio dialed to baseball


A front porch swing rocking, a daydreaming girl

Her soft shy smile catches my attention

A distant neighbor hand trucks his trash cans

Out to the street for morning pick up wait


Looking back, I see a now empty swing

From the front door, my mother calls me in

I stand wiping my face with my shirt sleeve

Glove and radio in hand, I retreat


The day ended, but not the memory

Photographs, forever in my mind’s eye



© Copyrights G. Jones 2006





No comments:

Post a Comment