Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Man in the Field

                      Inspired by “Haystacks in Province,” by Vincent Van Gogh

Every day he was there
On his knees, standing, or kneeling
Gazing into the sun and the colors
He watched the road, the hay
The horizon and sometimes even me

His eyes followed my bucket
I felt, not uncomfortable, but
As if a passive madness were there
In that field
Watching, always watching

Once I stopped to say Hello
He ignored me
Standing erect, absorbing the sun
 Gazing at the golden hay

He was never in the same place
Sometimes, he was near the road
So close, I thought I could hear his breath
I read his very thoughts as I passed
Thoughts, I would never repeat
The sound of the water sloshing in my pail
And
His mind in rhythm

Yesterday, he was lying in the middle of the field
Staring upward into the sun
Motionless and still
Complete

Today he was gone
His absence left the field seemingly empty
Yet… the haystacks and the scattered straw
The sky, the sun itself
BrighterBrighterAlive

                                                © Copyrights G. Jones 2006



2 comments:

  1. omg this is so wild .. I love love this Your poetry is so visual & moving for the reader this was like a film for me to read i saw your words with my eyes ;)) just wonderful Beez :)

    ReplyDelete